Congresswoman Virgina Foxx of North Carolina, on the floor of the House of Representatives:
(Video follows excerpts and commentary)
They [The American People] fear for the future of our country. What they’re talking about is that they fear for our freedoms and they fear for the principles that formed this country and have always been the basis on which we’ve operated. I share that fear and I believe that they should be fearful.
And, I believe that the greatest fear that we all should have to our freedom comes from this room and what may happen later this week in terms of a tax increase bill masquerading as a health care bill.
I believe we have more to fear from the potential of that bill passing than we do from any terrorist right now in any country.
What’s more important to you? Security or freedom? How much freedom are you willing to give up to feel more ‘secure’ about your health care? And, do you feel more secure knowing that the government will be making your health care decisions for you?
This isn’t just about health care. It’s about a whole lot more. Once we let the government make our health care decisions for us, where will it stop?
- Will we have to go to the government to request to purchase a new homeÂ when only Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac will be lending money for mortgages?
- How about if we want to finance a car purchase and need to request lending facilities from government owned GM, Citi, JP Morgan Chase, Wells Fargo?
- What if we want to eat healthy foods, and can’t get them from our local farmers anymore because of the Federal Food Police, and our only option is to buy from mega-food conglomerates like Monsanto?
- What about home schooling our children as opposed to forced government education?
- What if you’d rather use gas to power you car than solar energy or electricity? Will you have that right ten years from now?
Make no mistake. Once the government is allowed the power to control health care, or any other industry for that matter, it will be very difficult, if not impossible, for us to force them to release their grip.
It’s not the health care bill that is more dangerous to our freedoms than any terrorist. It is the unchecked attempts by government to mandate every aspect of our lives’.