Three million Americans, often ridiculed by family, friends and mainstream media for their paranoia, aren’t the only ones preparing for the potentiality of catastrophe resulting from natural or man-made causes. Recent legislation in Wyoming would open the door to studies into the possibility of far-from-equilibrium situations and SHTF preparedness plans that include alternate currencies in the event of a dollar collapse, redundant food distribution networks, preserving utility infrastructures, as well as raising and maintaining a well regulated militia if the situation calls for it.
House Bill 85 passed on first reading by a voice vote. It would create a state-run government continuity task force, which would study and prepare Wyoming for potential catastrophes, from disruptions in food and energy supplies to a complete meltdown of the federal government.
The task force would look at the feasibility of Wyoming issuing its own alternative currency, if needed. And House members approved an amendment Friday by state Rep. Kermit Brown, R-Laramie, to have the task force also examine conditions under which Wyoming would need to implement its own military draft, raise a standing army, and acquire strike aircraft and an aircraft carrier.
The bill’s sponsor, state Rep. David Miller, R-Riverton, has said he doesn’t anticipate any major crises hitting America anytime soon. But with the national debt exceeding $15 trillion and protest movements growing around the country, Miller said Wyoming — which has a comparatively good economy and sound state finances — needs to make sure it’s protected should any unexpected emergency hit the U.S.
Several House members spoke in favor of the legislation, saying there was no harm in preparing for the worst.
Source: Wyoming Trib
Those looking to prepare on a personal level for doomsday related events in an effort to avoid a Hurricane Katrina-like incident should take a page from the Wyoming legislators and consider individual SHTFplans along the same lines:
- Alternative currency: Gold, silver and supplies that can be used for barter if our existing currency system comes under threat. Also see: What is money when the system collapses?
- Food disruptions:
- Short term emergencies: Look to canned goods, freeze dried food, and MRE’s; Also See 52 Weeks to Preparedness: Week 1;
[See great emergency food products like Wise Food Kits, Meals Ready to Eat]
- Intermediate term: Dry goods like rice, beans, pasta, dehydrated milk. Also see: 11 Emergency Food Items That Can Last a Lifetime
[See related preparedness products like the Sun Oven]
- Long Term: Self reliant living that includes growing your own fruit and vegetable garden and raising livestock and micro-livestock
[See related preparedness products like Grow Your Own Groceries and Build Your Own Biodome]
- Utilities: Generators can provide short-term support for emergencies, but ideally you’ll want to include the ability to create your own energy, filter your own water, and dispose of waste; Also see What to Do When the Sanitation Hits the Fan;
[See related preparedness products like Pedal-a-Watt, Big Berkey Gravity Water Filter, Flojak Handwell Pump]
- Self Defense: This one is self explanatory. While Wyoming prepares to defend their state and uphold the rule of law in the event of a political or social meltdown, you too should invest in self defense and property defense firearms, ammunition, crossbows, fencing/barbed wire, and skills; Also see: An Introduction to Home Defense, Guns and Safety;
[See related books like How to Survive the End of the World as We Know It by James Rawles]
[Disclosure: While we normally refrain from specifically listing preparedness products in our articles, this seemed like a good place to recommend some quality preparedness solutions that we have tried ourselves or those that come highly recommended by others. Some of these products may be offered by SHTFplan.com advertisers. Products have been specifically identified as such and italicized.]