UPDATE Jan 27, 2010 @22:05
Some random thoughts:
- First impression: Great delivery, as usual. The Prez is always good at that part.
- Good overview of the issues facing the Union.
- Small business ideas sound promising: “eliminate all capital gains taxes on small business investment” in particular
- Probably will be attached to some other laws restricting other free market principles or only provide this to ‘qualifying’ investments (like alt energy, etc etc)
- Good stuff, I hope he meant it and is willing to take the steps to make it reality: “I do not accept second-place for the United States of America”
- This will happen with a dollar debasement or protectionist policies: “We set a new goal: We will double our exports over the next five years, an increase that will support two million jobs in America.”
- I’m all for this, but will we hold teachers, principals and school boards responsible? Also, why not provide 100% education tax credits to parents who choose a non-public school? : “instead of rewarding failure, we only reward success. Instead of funding the status quo, we only invest in reform – reform that raises student achievement, inspires students to excel in math and science”
- Did Tim Geithner just race over to the State of the Union after testimony on AIG today? Seriously Tim you should have had a back up shirt from the cleaners. This is the frickin’ sate of the Union dude!: http://abcnews.go.com/video/playerIndex?id=9681933
- Glad border security got so much coverage: “to secure our borders” – sounds like a great plan.
- “No wonder there’s so much cynicism out there.”Â – You don’t say….
- Conclusion: Same faces in Washington, means not much will change.
ORIGINALLY POSTED Jan 27, 2010 @14:00
If you’re planning on watching the President’s State of the Union with family and friends, then consider having some fun with the State of the Union Drinking Game:
Note*: We do not encourage binge drinking, but if you happen to play the game, we welcome your comments – slurred, incoherent or sober – during and after the speech.
Schedule: Wednesday, Jan. 27, 2010Â -Â 9:00 PM Eastern
Where to watch: You can watch the State of the Union right here at SHTFplan.com! (Just scroll down below the Drinking Game Rules for a live feed)
State of the Union Drinking Game Rules
|Obama says “let me be clear”||Do one shot|
|Obama says “change isn’t easy”||Do one shot|
|Obama says “make no mistake”||Do one shot|
|Obama says “Let me be clear, change isn’t easy, make no mistake.”||He’s screwing with you to get you drunk, so five shots|
|Joe Wilson yells something||Do two shots|
|Obama yells back||Finish the bottle|
|Obama says “jobs”||Do one shot, two if you’re unemployed|
|Obama says “health care”||Do not drink, you will not be given a replacement liver|
|Nancy Pelosi claps like a seal||Do one shot|
|Nancy Pelosi becomes a seal||STOP DRINKING FOR THE LOVE OF GOD|
|Obama mentions Bo||Put beer in your dog’s water bowl|
|Michelle Obama wears a slinky dress||Go immediately to the HuffPost Style page for close-ups|
|Joe Biden nods-off/laughs inappropriately/starts talking before the speech is over||Do three shots|
|Obama uses the term “Congressional leadership”||Do two shots carefully as all that laughing will make it difficult to swallow|
|Obama says he’s “fighting for you”||Do one shot, two if you believe him|
|Obama mentions Haiti||Text â€œHaitiâ€ to the number 90999 and donate $10 to the Red Cross|