UPDATE JULY 21, 2011 – 20:45 CST: Ohio Police Officer Has Been Relieved of Duty
From the Canton PD Facebook page:
I want to assure our citizens that the behavior, as demonstrated in this video, is wholly unacceptable and in complete contradiction to the professional standards we demand of our officers.
We would like to remind everyone that this incident is being fully investigated and the officer has been relieved of duty.
In the following video a driver in Canton, OH is detained (and then arrested) by a police officer for not disclosing he has a license to carry a concealed handgun.
Ohio law requires that a license holder advise an officer that they are armed. In this particular instance, the car was not pulled over, as the individual was letting two passengers out of the car. The officer did not approach the driver of the vehicle until about five minutes after first reaching the scene.
We also note that it looks as if the officer was illegally searching the vehicle without probable cause (with the driver still in it), entering from the passenger-side without making contact with the driver.
The individual, identified as William, attempted to tell the officer he has a concealed and carry permit, but was abruptly cut off.
The question for the courts is, did William advise the officers about the weapon in accordance with the law?
The officer then goes on a tirade with numerous choice statements and threats – mind you that William has been detained in handcuffs at this point:
- “That shit that you just pulled I could blast you right in the mouth.”
- “I’m so close to caving in your goddamn head”
- “You’re just a stupid human being”
- “You want me to pull mine [gun] and stick it to your head?”
- “People like you don’t deserve to move throughout public. Period.”
- “You lost this [right to conceal and carry]. I tell you right now you lost it. You’re gonna catch a felony too.”
- “I tell you what i shoulda done. As soon as I saw your gun I should taken two steps back, pulled my Glock 40, and just put 10 bullets in your ass and let you drop.”
- “And he [the other officer on scene] would have been a nice witness as I executed you because you’re stupid.”
- “I see this car, I’m pulling you over and I’m towing it. I’m gonna pull that car over, tow it, and you’re going to jail every time.”
We understand that police officers deal with pimps, prostitutes, thugs, thieves and pretty much the scum of the earth on a daily basis. Law enforcement is certainly a high-stress job and those who protect and serve are often in danger executing their duties. We don’t know much about William’s background, and that he allegedly had a pimp and a prostitute in his car in an area apparently known to be a haven for prostitutes doesn’t exactly work in his favor to support he is an upstanding citizen.
However, the aggressive intimidation and threats seem to be a little out of line.
Canton, Ohio PD has reportedly received thousands of calls regarding the incident.
Continued efforts by citizens to make these types of videos public are the only line of defense for individuals against illegal and unreasonable detainment, arrests and prosecutions. It is our hope that by sharing these types of videos, those officers who are bad apples will realize that they are under scrutiny by the public at all times. Perhaps over time this will help encourage a change in the behavior in those who would use the official powers granted to them by the public to berate, intimidate, and in some case imprison law abiding citizens.