Witnesses said that at about 6 a.m. Friday, three loose dogs pounced on 52-year-old Janelle Dalson, who was on a jog through her neighborhood. The womanâ€™s screams woke one neighbor, who came outside to find her fending off the three dogs, which collectively weighed nearly 300 pounds.
â€œCourse she was screaming and begging for help. You know, â€˜please help me,â€™â€ said responding neighbor Gary Paquet, who choked up while describing what he witnessed. â€œThey actually had her body up off the ground, and they were trying to rend her apart.â€
Fortunately, Paquet came out of his house armed with his Walther PPK Handgun.
â€œLead dog came up, and I shot him in the head. And he just dropped right there,â€ said Paquet.
But as the other two dogs continued their assault, Paquet’s gun jammed. Just then, two other women came running up the street and the two dogs went after them. One of the women was pregnant.
â€œThose two dogs went right for them, and they took down the pregnant one and started chewing on her,â€ said Paquet.
Neighbor John Bettencourt also came outside armed with a handgun, and shot the two dogs before they could seriously hurt the pregnant woman.
Mr. Paquet’s version of events suggests that had he not been armed with a handgun, Ms. Dalson would be dead. After shooting the first dog, his gun jammed, and his attempts to get the dogs off of Dalson were unsuccessful until two other passers-by diverted their attention, but only because they then became the targets. Luckily, another neighbor was armed and ready to deal with this attack, preventing further serious injury, and potentially saving an unborn life in the process.
We can learn several things from this experience:
- Be vigilant and if you spot or hear something out of the ordinary, be prepared to take action.
- Always have your firearm nearby and loaded.
- If you hear screaming, arm yourself first, then exit your residence. If you go outside to see what’s going on first, you’ll lose precious seconds having to return inside to get your firearm.
- Consider arming yourself with a revolver as your primary home defense weapon. Though it is uncommon for semi-automatic handguns from top-of-the-line manufacturers to jam, a quality revolver will provide additional confidence and 99.99% (or better) reliability when you pull the trigger.
- When a real emergency happens in the vicinity of your home, by the time police are able to respond it will be over, and loved ones, friends or neighbors could be dead.
Watch the Video:
Hat tip Wheedle