Seasoned preppers know just how useful vinegar can be and most have a decent supply stored up for when the SHTF. Here are 5 reasons why you should consider boosting your vinegar supplies before things get ugly.
- Cleaning – vinegar makes an excellent cleaning solution when used for a variety of different things. When there is no way to go to the store and grab your favorite cleaner, vinegar will do the trick! It can be used to clean and disinfect wood cutting boards, polish chrome, or remove pet urine from carpeting. It will also cut the grease on pans or other surfaces.
- Pet Care – Since you’ll be taking your four-legged friend through the worst of times with you, vinegar can be used to help keep fleas off him! Just add a little vinegar to a dog or cat’s drinking water. Be careful not to overdo it. Vinegar is very acidic, and dogs aren’t often big fans of the flavor. Vinegar can also help remove that pungent skunk odor from your dog too! Just rub his fur with full strength vinegar and rinse.
- Medicine – gargle some vinegar to soothe a sore throat. 2 tsp of apple cider vinegar in one cup of water can also help with an upset stomach. Vinegar can also be used to fight dandruff! Just rinse clean hair with vinegar. Some say you can even remove warts with it, but you will also need some glycerin. Mix the gl5 Reasonycerin and the vinegar 50/50 and apply to a wart daily until it is completely gone!
- Food Preparation – not only can vinegar be used to make dressings or in place of lemons when fresh fruits are not readily available, but it can be used to preserve the food you do have. You can water bath can your vegetables if you pickle them in vinegar first.
- Pest Control – you can kill weeds in the cracks of your sidewalk using vinegar, and it’s safer for the kids and your pets than using weed killer. You can also trap fruit flies with it! Just put some apple cider vinegar in a Mason jar and poke a few holes in the lid large enough for them to get in. The fruit flies be drawn to the smell, then die in the jar.
These are only a few ways that vinegar can be used both before the SHTF and after. Vinegar has an indefinite shelf life because of the acidic properties. It will never expire, making it perfect to store and save for later use. And the other bonus? Vinegar is inexpensive. It’s one of those things almost every prepper suggests you hoard and store – just in case.
But you can also use it beforehand too! Vinegar can help remove the smell from washing machines and keep mildew at bay. It is also becoming more popular for those who homestead or live a more natural lifestyle to use as a cleaning product instead of the toxic options available commercially.
Can you think of a reason to not store vinegar?