What If Nothing Happens?
The following article has been contributed by The Berkey Guy Blog. For essential survival supplies and accessories like Berkey water filters, heirloom seeds and long term food storage visit LPC Survival.
Yesterday, I spoke with a gentleman in New York who tried to educate me on preparedness. He mentioned so many different concerns, many of which were legitimate and some were just out there. With so much going on in our Nation and throughout the world at large, it’s tough to ignore so much writing on the wall.
Now, let’s take that conversation into context for my focus of writing an article this morning: What if nothing happens? That’s exactly the question I’ll ask you. You, the prepared individual. You, the prepper who purchases food to have in the event your employment situation loses its revenue temporarily, or a minor movement of the earth closes local markets and grocers. You, the healthy student of nutrition. You, the responsible parent who works to provide the necessities of life for your children and grandchildren and works to secure those ongoing needs. You, the involved citizen who talks with your neighbors and cares about the safety of your neighborhood. You, the owner of a vehicle who pays auto insurance for security against an undesired vehicular event. You, the purchaser of health insurance for a family whose health is fundamental and essential. You, the ardent securer of water storage, just in case another 5-day boil-water-alert happens this month. You, the consumer who also produces constructively while others are socially-secure thanks to your payroll contributions. You, whose money is lent to banks whose bail-outs secured enormous pensions. You, whose income tax returns without interest.
What if not one thing happens this year to drastically- or even minimally- inconvenience your lifestyle?
In the event that your storage of food, water, medical, and other resources remains unmoved out of necessity, then count yourself fortunate. This is what we hope for, although we’d be willfully ignorant to discredit the vulnerabilities of our current environments, local and global!
If your application of primitive or pioneer skills finds use within recreational or standard homestead practices instead of emergent necessity, then continue enjoying their practice in peace. Please carry on and experience the following in your endeavors to be self-reliant:
- the joy of cultivating your plants and harvesting the literal fruits (& vegetables) of your labor
- the satisfaction of knowing basic skills to make many of the leisurely staples such as flour, pasta noodles, sausage, buttermilk, cheese, bread, and so much more
- the stewardship of slaughter & butchery
- the responsible care and maintenance of firearms and useful weapons/tools
- the autonomy of filtering and purifying water for all-things-related to its supply and use
- the comfort of attending to basic medical issues, affording you the avoidance of over-crowded emergency waiting rooms, and unnecessary exposure to other contagious pathogens
- the peace of mind that your food is not unnaturally grown and crammed into compact living conditions
- the security that comes with protection against a failing economy and currency, through precious metals
- the integrity of enjoying life’s experience as a perpetual learner, an ever-studious pupil
- the unmatched fulfillment which attends precious family moments of teaching, learning, and sharing
- the limitless advantages of perpetual personal progress
Natural disasters are going to happen as part of life. Adverse events are somewhat out of our control, so we prepare for those things which we can control: having something rather than having nothing. Knowing-by-doing rather than not knowing and doing nothing.
And if nothing happens, we have the satisfaction of having prepared for when it does.
Follow the Berkey Guy Blog for regularly updated preparedness tips and videos. You can also visit LPC Survival for preparedness supplies and accessories.
Click here to subscribe: Join over one million monthly readers and receive breaking news, strategies, ideas and commentary.
Please Spread The Word And Share This Post
Read by 14,286 people
Date: July 7th, 2012
Copyright Information: This content has been contributed to SHTFplan by a third-party or has been republished with permission from the author. Please contact the author directly for republishing information.